|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
Founded in the 15th century, the 11th largest Princely State by area.
- Raja ANNAM DEV, 1st
Raja of Bastar 1324/1369, traditional founder, brother of
Kakatiya Raja of
Pratap Rudra Dev, said to have established himself at Bastar, defeating
the Nagvanshi Raja, and established his capital at Mudhota
under the protection of the goddess, Danteshwari, still the family
- Raja HAMIR DEV, 2nd
Raja of Bastar 1369/1410
- Raja BHAITAI DEV,
3rd Raja of Bastar 1410/1468
- Raja PURUSHOTTAM DEV,
4th Raja of Bastar 1468/1534, he shifted
his capital to Old Bastar.
- Raja PRATAP RAJ DEV,
Raja of Bastar 1602/1625, married and had issue,
extinct in the
- Raja DIGPAL DEO,
Raja of Bastar 1680/1709
- Raja RAJPAL DEO,
Raja of Bastar 1709/1721, descended from the younger
brother of Raja
Dev, married 1stly, a Baghela Princess, married 2ndly, a Chandel
and had issue.
- Rajkumar Dakhin Singh (by 1st wife)
- Raja Dalpat Deo (by 2nd wife) (qv)
- Rajkumar Pratap Singh (by 2nd wife)
- Raja MAMA, Raja of
- Raja DALPAT DEO,
Raja of Bastar 1731/1774, moved his capital to Jagdalpur;
he married (amongst 7 wives),
1stly, a daughter of Raja Goor Sai Deo of Kanker,
and had issue.
- Rajkumar Ajmer Singh (by 1st wife), usurped the gaddi
a short time.
- Raja Daryao Deo (by 2nd wife) (qv)
- Raja DARYAO DEO,
Raja of Bastar 1774 and 1777/bef 1819, married and had
- Raja MAHIPAL DEO,
Raja of Bastar fl. 1819, married and had issue.
- Raja Bhopal Deo (qv)
- Lal Dalganjan Singh, Dewan of Bastar 1846/1863, married
and had issue. He died 1863.
- Lal Kalendra Singh, Dewan of Bastar 1882/-; deported to
Illichpur for his part in the Bastar rebellion of 1910, where he died.
He died 1916 at Illichpur.
- Kunwar Chakar Singh
- Raja BHOPAL DEO,
Raja of Bastar 1830/1853, married and had issue, as well
as further issue.
- Raja Bhairam Deo (qv)
- Kunwar Durjan Singh (by a secondary union), Dewan of
-/1881, died February 1881
- Raja BHAIRAM DEO,
Raja of Bastar 1853/1891, born 21st May 1839, succeeded
27th August 1853 (#1),
recognized as a Feudatory Chief by the British Government in 1865; he
married (amongst others), Senior Rani Subra Kanwar, died October 1910
at Raipur, (a) Nawabai (concubine), and had issue, as well as
illegitimate issue. He died 28th July 1891.
- Raja Rudra Pratap Deo (qv)
- Maharanidhirani Padmalaya
Devi, married Maharajadhiraj Nahar Deo of Kanker,
and had issue.
- Kunwar Bahadur Singh (by a secondary union)
- Kunwar Arjun Singh (by a secondary union)
- Raja RUDRA PRATAP DEO,
Raja of Bastar 1891/1921, born 5th March 1885,
succeeded 20th July 1891, installed
educated at Rajkumar College, Raipur; married 1stly, Rani Kusumlata
Devi, daughter of Raja Sir Basudeb Sudhal Deb of Bamra, she
died 18th August 1911, married 2ndly, Rani Chandra Kumari, she died sp,
and had issue, one son and one daughter. He died
- Yuvaraj (name unknown) (by Rani Kusumlata Devi),
died at the age of ten months.
- Rani Prafulla Kumari Devi (by Rani Kusumlata Devi) (qv)
- Rani Prafulla Kumari Devi,
Rani of Bastar 1921/1936, born 10th February
married 1927, Lal Sahib Prafulla Chandra Bhanj Deo of Mayurbhanj, born 23rd May 1909, Member
Lok Sabha, died 5th March 1959, and had issue. She died 28th February
1936 in London.
- Rajkumari Kamla Devi (by Rani
Prafulla Kumari Devi), born 2nd February 1928, married in Bijwa U.P.
She died 1st January 1954.
- Maharaja Pravir Chandra Bhanj Deo
- Rajkumari Geeta Kumari Devi,
born 29th October 1930, married Raja Saheb
Chandra Deo of Bonai, and had issue. She died
17th December 2002.
- Maharaja Vijay Chandra Bhanj Deo
- Maharaja PRAVIR CHANDRA
BHANJ DEO, Maharaja of Bastar 1936/1966, born 12th
educated at Rajkumar College, Raipur; succeeded
28th October 1936, deposed by the Indian authorities in 1961, M.L.A.
(Madhya Pradesh), married 4th
July 1961, Maharani Shubhraj Kumari, born 1930, died sp
1996, daughter of Rao Sahib
Udaya Singhji of Patan. He died sp
25th March 1966 (#2).
- Maharaja VIJAY CHANDRA
BHANJ DEO, Maharaja of Bastar 1966/1970, born 4th March
married Maharani Hitendra Kumari, daughter of Thakore Saheb
Surendrasinhji Karansinhji of Sayla, and
issue. He died 12th April 1970.
- Maharaja Bharat Chandra Bhanj Deo (qv)
- Maharajkumar Shri Devesh Chandra Bhanj Deo (+), married
- Rajkumar Mohit Chandra Bhanj Deo
- Rajkumari Juhika Devi Bhanj Deo
- Maharajkumar Shri Harihar Chandra Bhanj Deo, educated at
Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1974); a practising
lawyer in the
capital Jagdalpur, married and had issue.
- Rajkumar Suryaveer Chandra Bhanj Deo
- Rani Saheba Puspa Devi, married Raja Rajendra Chandra Deb
Birabara Harichandan Mahapatra, 25th Raja Saheb of Talcher, and has issue, two sons.
- Maharaja BHARAT CHANDRA
BHANJ DEO, Maharaja of Bastar 1970/1996, born 1954,
educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1972); married a Maharani from
Tharad, and had issue. He
- Maharaja Kamal Chandra Bhanj Deo (qv)
- Rajkumari Gayatri Devi Bhanj Deo
- Maharaja KAMAL CHANDRA
BHANJ DEO (see above)