|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
in 1585 by Shah Katur, after whom the dynasty takes its name. He was
a descendant of Genghis Khan. Feudatory to Badakshan 1634/1712.
Acceeded to Pakistan (the 1st
State to do so) in 1947, Rulers
- Mehtar SANGIN ALI KHAN I -/1570
- Mehtar SHAH KATUR 1570/1585
- Mehtar MUHTARAM SHAH I 1585/1615 and 1620/1630 (fled), died
- Mehtar SANGIN ALI KHAN II [Sangalli] 1712/1745
- Mehtar GHULAM MUHAMMAD BEG 1745/1750 or -/1700
- Mehtar SHAH ALAM 1750/1775 or 1700/-
- Mehtar MUHAMMAD SHAFI -/-
- Mehtar FARAMARZ SHAH 1775/1790 or 1755/1770, Ruler
of Yasin and Mastuj, died
- Mehtar SHAH AFZAL I 1790/1795 or 1770/1775
- Mehtar SHAH FADL [Shah Fazil] 1795/1798 or 1775/1778
- Mehtar NAWAZ KHAN 1798/1809 or 1788/1798 and
1818/182x or 1817/1833
- Mehtar SHAH KHAIRALLAH KUSHQTE 1798/1817
- Mehtar MUHTARAM SHAH II 1809/1818 or 1778/1788
1833/1837, died 1841.
- Mehtar AMAN al-MULK I 182x/1833
- Mehtar MUHTARAM SHAH III
- Mehtar SHAH MUHAMMAD AFZAL II 1837/1853,
and had issue.
He died 1853.
- Mehtar MUHTARAM SHAH IV (qv)
- Mehtar SHAH MUHAMMAD AMAN al-MULK II (qv)
- Mehtar SHIR AFZAL KHAN (qv)
- Mehtar MUHTARAM SHAH IV 1853/1857,
- Mehtar SHAH MUHAMMAD AMAN al-MULK II 1858/1892,
born 1820, married (amongst
others), a daughter of Asmar Khan, an Afghan Prince, and had issue,
25 sons and 47 daughters. He died 30th August 1892.
- HH Mehtar Sir MUHAMMAD SHUJA al-MULK (by
- Mitarjao Bahram al-Mulk, married
had issue. He
- Mitarjao Shah Mulk, died 1892.
- Mitarjao Wazir al-Mulk, died 1892.
- Mehtar MUHAMMAD AFZAL al-MULK (qv)
- Mehtar MUHAMMAD NIZAM al-MULK (qv)
- Mehtar MUHAMMAD AMIR al-MULK (by the
- Mitarjao Amin al-Mulk
- Daughter, married Miangul Abdul
Khaliq of Swat.
- Mehtar MUHAMMAD AFZAL al-MULK, Mehtar of Chitral
[30.8.1892] – [1.12.1892],
born 1875, died 1st December 1892.
- Mehtar SHIR AFZAL KHAN, Mehtar of Chitral [1.12.1892] –
[12.12.1893] (deposed), born 1873, died 1923.
- Mehtar MUHAMMAD NIZAM al-MULK, Mehtar of Chitral
[12.12.1893] – [1.1.1895], born 1874, assasinated
1895 at Broz near Chitral City.
- Mehtar MUHAMMAD AMIR al-MULK, Mehtar of Chitral [1.1.1895]
– [1.5.1895] (deposed),
born 1876, died 1924.
- HH Mehtar Sir MUHAMMAD SHUJA al-MULK K.C.I.E., Mehtar of
[1.5.1895] – [13.10.1936],
C.I.E. [cr.1903], K.C.I.E. [cr.1919], married 4 wives and had 4
by whom he had issue, 15 sons and 5 daughters. He died 13th October
- Major HH Mehtar Sir MUHAMMED
- Shahzada Hisam al-Mulk, Governor
- Shahzada Mata al-Mulk
- Shahzada Khushwakht al-Mulk, born
1913, married and
- Shahzada Siraj ul-Mulk
- Shahzada Sekander ul-Mulk
- HH Mehtar MUHAMMED MUZAFFAR
- Shahzada Burhan ud-Din, born
died July 1995
- Major HH Mehtar Sir MUHAMMED NASIR
al-MULK K.C.I.E., Mehtar of Chitral [13.10.1936] – [29.6.1943],
born 29th September 1897, K.C.I.E., married 1stly (….), married
1939 daughter of Nawab SHAH JAHAN KHAN of Dhir
and had issue, two daughters. He died 29th June (or July) 1943 in
- Daughter (by 1st wife), married
1949, HH Mehtar
SAIF ar-RAHMAN of Chitral (qv)
- HH Mehtar MUHAMMED MUZAFFAR al-MULK, Mehtar of Chitral
[29.6.1943] – [7.1.1949], married
the daughter of Sayyid Lais Shahzada and had issue. He died 7th January
- HH Mehtar SAIF ar-RAHMAN (qv)
- Shahzada Asad ar-Rahman, born 1928, Regent of Chitral
[14.10.1954] – [xx.5.1966], died 2005.
- HH Mehtar SAIF ar-RAHMAN 1949/1954,
Mehtar of Chitral [7.1.1949] – [14.10.1954], born 1926, married June
1949, the daughter of Major HH Mehtar Sir MUHAMMED NASIR al-MULK of
(see above), and has issue. He died 14th October 1954
- HH Mehtar MUHAMMED NASIR SAIF
- HH Mehtar MUHAMMED NASIR SAIF ul-MULK
The help of John Duncan McMeekin, is gratefully
acknowledged, January 2011.