|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
state of Dhundhar (Dausa) founded in 1093 by Duleh Rai (Dulha Rao), a
descendant of Raja Nal of Ajodhya.
The state was known as Amber
from the 1300’s to 1727, when a new capital called Jayapura was built,
state was then renamed Jaipur. Rulers were….
- Raja SODH DEV, 1st Raja of Dausa 966/1006 or
1096/1128, son of Raja
Ishwar Das of Gwalior.
- Raja DULHA RAO, 2nd Raja of Dausa 1006/1036 or
1093/1136 or 1128/1136,
married 1006, Rani Meroni, a daughter of Raja Ralhan Singh
of Ajmer, part of the dowry included the region of Dhundhar, and had
- Raja Kankal Dev (qv)
- Kunwar Baikul Dev, Raja of Indurkhi and Biswari; he was
expelled from Dausa and moved firstly to Indurkhi and later to Biswari;
he married and had issue, the Rampura
family of Uttar Pradesh.
- Raja KANKAL DEV, 3rd Raja of Dausa 1036/1038 or
- Raja HUNA DEV, 4th Raja of Dausa 1039/1053 or
- Raja JANAD DEV, 5th Raja of Dausa 1053/1070 or
- Raja PUJANA DEV, 6th Raja of Dausa 1070/1094 or
1185/1191 , married
(amongst others), a
sister of Raja
King of Delhi, and had issue.
- Raja MALESI DEV, 7th Raja of Dausa 1094/1146 or
- Raja BYALA DEV, 8th Raja of Dausa 1146/1179
- Raja RAJA DEV, 9th Raja of Dausa 1179/1216
- Raja KILHAN DEV, 10th Raja of Dausa 1216/1276
- Raja KANTAL DEV, 1st Raja of Amber 1276/1317,
married and had issue, the Gogawat
the Thakurs of Duni.
- Raja JANSI DEV, 2nd Raja of Amber 1317/1366, married
and had issue.
- Rao Kumbha of Banskhoh (one of the 12 bara Kotri),
married and had issue, the Kumbhani
sub-clan, icluding the Thakur Sahibs of Banskhoh.
- Raja UDAYAKARNA, 3rd Raja of Amber 1366/1388,
and had issue, 8
- Rao Barsingh Deo, received Mojad (Mozamabad) and was
ancestor of the
Naruka sub-clan, rulers
of Alwar, Uniara,
- Rao Balaji, recieved the village of Barwara
near Amarsar in
married and had issue. He died 1430.
- Rao Mokalji 1430/1445 of Barwara, married four wives,
and had issue. He
- Rao Shekhaji (Shekha of Amarsar)
born 1433, became independent of Jaipur in 1471 and was ancestor of the
sub-clan, including the rulers of Dundlod,
Nawalgarh, Mandawa, Sikar
etc. He died 1488.
- Rao Khemraj
- Rao Kharud, married and had issue.
- Rao Khuman, ancestor of the Khumawats, now likely
- Rao Shiv Brahm, founder of Nindar
(one of the 12
bara Kotri) and ancestor of the Sheobramhpota sub-clan.
- Rao Patal, recieved Loni and was ancestor of the
Rao Peepaji, became a local diety.
Rao Peethal, ancestor of the Peethalpota sub-clan.
- Raja NARSINGH DEO, 4th Raja of Amber 1388/1413, died
- Raja BANBIR SINGH, 5th Raja of Amber 1413/1424
(1428/1439), married and
had issue. He died 1424.
- Rao Naro Singh of Watka (one of the 12 bara Kotri)
- Raja UDHA RAO, 6th Raja of Amber 1424/1453
(1439/1467), died 1453
- Raja CHANDRASENA, 7th Raja of Amber 1453/1502
(1467/1502), died 1502
- Raja PRITHVIRAJ SINGH I, 8th Raja of Amber
he was installed
on the gaddi on 11th February 1503; married nine wives, including (a),
Bala Bai [Apoorva Devi] of Bikaner,
married (b). daughter of Maharana Raimal Singhji of Mewar, married (c),
daughter of Rao Gyan Gaud, and had issue, 18 sons (5 dsp) and 3
He died 4th November 1527.
- Raja Bhim Singh (by Rani
Bala Bai) (eldest son) (qv)
- Raja Puran Mal (son of the Tonwar
Queen) (second son)(qv)
- Raja Baharmalla (by Rani
Bala Bai)(fourth son) (qv)
- Kunwar Sanga Singh (by Rani Apoorva Devi) (fifth son),
founder of Sanganer,
which lapsed to the parent state on his death without issue. One of the
bara Kotri (12 chambers) of the Kachhawa Royal Family.
- Rao Sheo Singh
- Rao Gopal Singh fl.1550, (by Rani Apoorva Devi),
he was granted the Jagirs
of Chomu and Samode
in 1550, married Rani Satyabhama of Karauli, and had issue.
- Rao Nathji, married 1stly, Rani Naurangde Chauhan of
Bedla, married 2ndly, Rani Lachmawati
Solanki of Toda Bhim, and had issue, the Nathawats, one of the bara
of the Kachhawa Royal Family.
- Thakur Karan Singh, ancestor of the Rawats of Chomu.
- Thakur Jaswant Singh, he was granted the estate of Mundota.
- Kunwar Rupsi Singh, (son of the Gaud Queen),
received the Jagir of
His son Thakur Jaimal was the ancestor of the Jagirdars of Fatehpur. He
- Rao Jag Mal (by Rani Apoorva Devi) (sixth son), he was
the Jagir of Diggi,
he left Amber after quarrelling with his father, and lived in Amarkot
for a while, where he married his Rani; married Rani Neta Kunwari,
daughter of Rana Pahar Singh of Amarkot, and had issue, five sons. He
died in 1549.
- Rao Khangarji, ancestor of the Khangarots,
which comprised one of
the bara Kotri (12 chambers) of the Kachhawa Royal Family; married and
had issue, 13 sons. He died in 1584.
- Thakur Raghav Das
- Thakur Bhakar Singh of Sakhun (eighth son), married
ten wives, and had issue, eight sons. He died in 1633.
- Thakur Dwarkadas of Tilorna, married two wives,
and had issue, five sons.
- Thakur Ajab Singh, married and had issue.
- Thakur Hari Singh
- Thakur Bijai Singh
- Rao Sarangdevji, died in battle in 1554.
- Kunwar Pachayan Singh (by Rani Apoorva Devi),
Ancestor of the Pachayanots, one of the bara Kotri (12 chambers) of the
Kachhawa Royal Family.
- Kunwar Balbhadra Singh (by Rani Apoorva Devi),
founder of Achrol.
Ancestor of the Balbhadrots, one of the bara Kotri (12 chambers) of
Kachhawa Royal Family.
- Kunwar Surtan Singh (by Rani Apoorva Devi),
founder of Surothe.
Ancestor of the Surtanots, one of the bara Kotri (12 chambers) of the
- Kunwar Chaturbhuj Singh (by Rani Apoorva Devi),
One of the bara Kotri (12 chambers) of the Kachhawa Royal Family.
- Kunwar Kalyan Das (son of the Sisodia Queen),
granted the Jagir of
His descendants were one of the bara Kotri (12 chambers) of the
- Raja PURAN MAL, 9th Raja of Amber 1527/1534,
Jagir of Nimera founding the clan of Puranmalots, one of the bara
Kotri (12 chambers) of the Kachhawa Royal Family, married a Rathore
and had issue. He died 19th January 1534 in battle at Anaseri.
- Rajkumar Suja Singh of Nimera fl.1556
- Raja BHIM SINGH, 10th Raja of Amber 1534/1537,
and had issue. He died 22nd July 1537.
- Rajkumar Askaran Singh, married and had issue.
- Raja Raj Singh of Narwar, married and had issue.
- Raja RATAN SINGH, 11th Raja of Amber 1537/1548, died
15th May 1548.
- Raja BAHARMALLA [BharMall], 12th Raja of Amber
1548/1574, born about
1499, received the Jagir of Narwar, married (amongst others), (a), Rani
Badna Devi, married (b), Rani
daughter of Rao Ganga Singh Solanki, and had issue. He died 27th
- Raja Bhagwant Das (by Rani Badna Devi) (qv)
- Raja Bhagwan Das (by Rani Badna Devi), he was granted the
Thikana of Lawan; he was granted the title of “bankey raja” by
Padshah Akbar of Delhi in recognition of his bravery.
- Rajkumar Sunder Das
- Rajkumar Prithvideep
- Rajkumar Roopsi alias Roopchand
- Rajkumar Jagannath Singh (by Rani Solankiji), died
- Rajkumar Maheshdas
- Rajkumar Sadul
- Rajkumar Bhopat
- Rajkumar Parshuram
- Rajkumari Heera Kunwar [Mariam Zamani], married circa
Padshah Akbar of Delhi,and had issue.
- Raja BHAGWANT DAS, 13th Raja of Amber 1574/1589, he
the title of Amir ul-Umara by
the Mughal Emperor, married and had issue. He died 10th
- Raja Man Singh I Bahadur (son of
Rani Bhagwati) (qv)
- Rajkumar Madho Singh, married and had issue. He died
- Kumar Chhatar Singh, married and had issue. He died
- Kumar Bhim Singh, died May 1630
- Kumar Anand Singh, died May 1630.
- Rajkumar Chandrabhan Singh (son of the daughter of
the daughter of Raja Puran Mal of Gidhaur.
- Rajkumar Suraj Singh fl.1580
- Rajkumar Pratap Singh fl.1600 (son of Rani Bhagwati)
- Daughter, married Padshah Jehangir of Delhi.
- Mirza Raja MAN SINGH I Bahadur, 14th Raja of Amber
1589/1614, born 9th
May 1540, married, including (a) 30th January 1593 Rani Akshaya Devi,
of the Raja Ram Chandra Dev of Khurda, (b) 23rd December 1596 Rani
Devi (committed sati), daughter of Maharaja Nar Narayan
Behar, and had issue. He died 6th July 1614 at Elichpur.
- Yuvaraj Jagat Singh, married and had issue. He died
9th October 1599.
- Raja Maha Singh, born 10th September 1585, received
the Jagir of Garha,
granted the Title of Raja by the Mughal Emperor, married Rani Damiyanti
Devi, grand-daughter of Maharana Udai Singhji of Mewar and had issue.
died 30th May 1617.
- Mirza Raja Jai Singh I (see below)
- Rajkumar Jhujhar Singh, Thakur
Raisar. Ancestor of
the Madhani subclan and Mansinghot subclan of the Rajawat clan of the
Royal Family, including the Thakurs of Ranoli, Siwar, Jhalai
and Isarda, married and had issue.
- [?Kunwarani Kusum
Kanwar, married Kunwar Mahesh Das of Jalore, grandson of Maharaja Udai
Singh of Jodhpur, and had issue.]
- Daughter, married 8th June 1608 the Mughal Emperor
- Mirza Raja Bhao Singh Bahadur (by
- Rajkumar Himmat Singh (son of Rani Jamoti/Jambvanti,
daughter of Ratan
Singh Chauhan), married and had issue. He died 16th March 1597.
- Kumar Kushan Singh, died sp.
- Rajkumar Durjan Singh (son of Rani Sahodra Gaud),
received the Jagir of Dhula in Jaipur, a
in the army of
the Mughal Emperor, captured the fort of Kakruya in 1596, and
the fort of Bhusna, later in the same year, killed in a naval
twelve miles off Vikrampur on the 5th September 1597.
- Rajkumar Sakat Singh (son of Rani Sumitra, daughter of
received the Jagir of Paharia in Jaipur, died before 1608.
- Rajkumar Kesho Das (son of Rani Kshama Devi).
- Rajkumar Atibal Singh (son of Rani Kshama Devi).
- Mirza Raja BHAO SINGH Bahadur, 1th Raja of Amber
13th December 1621 sp.
- Mirza Raja JAI SINGH I Bahadur, 16th Raja of Amber
1621/1667 , born
15th July 1611,
[cr.1639], married and had issue. He died 28th August 1667 in Burhanpur.
- Mirza Raja Ram Singh I Bahadur (qv)
- Rajkumar Kirat Singh, ancestor of the Rajas of Kama,
married and had issue. He died 1673.
- Baijas Kaur, married 1678 the Mughal Prince, Muhammad
- Daughter, married Raja Mahendra Keerat Singh of Bhadawar.
- Mirza Raja RAM SINGH I Bahadur, 17th Raja of Amber
and had issue.
April 1688 at Kohato.
- Yuvaraj Kishan Singh, married and had issue. He died
- Mirza Raja Bishan Singh Bahadur (qv)
- Mirza Raja BISHAN SINGH Bahadur, 18th Raja of Amber
1672, married and
He died 31st December 1699.
- Sri Sawai Maharaja Jai Singh II Bahadur (qv)
- Mirza Raja Bijay Singh, Mirza Raja [cr.1708], died
- Baisa (name unknown), married Rao Raja Budh
Singhji of Bundi.
- Sri Sawai Maharaja JAI SINGH II Bahadur, 19th Raja
and 1st Maharaja of Jaipur 1699/1743 ,
born 4th November
Hind [cr.1721], Raj Rajeshwar, Shri Rajadhiraj, Maharaja Sawai
married 1stly, March 1701, daughter of Kunwar Udit Singh (nephew of
Ram Gaur of Sheopur), married (b), Maharani Chandra Kunwar, daughter of
Sangram Singhji II of Udaipur,
(c), a daughter of Raja Bhim Singhji
I of Banera, and had issue. He died
21st September 1743
- Maharajkumar Shiv Singh, born 1702, married and had
issue, 2 sons. He
died of cholera in August 1724 along with his mother.
- Sri Sawai Maharaja Ishwari Singh Bahadur (qv)
- Sri Sawai Maharaja Madho Singh I Bahadur (by the
- Daughter, married Rao Raja Dalel Singhji of Bundi.
- Daughter, married Maharaja Abhai Singhji of Jodhpur.
- Sri Sawai Maharaja ISHWARI SINGH Bahadur, 2nd
of Jaipur 1743/1750,
born 1721, married (amongst others) (a), Maharani Ajab Kunwar, daughter
of Raja Surtan Singhji of Banera. He
1750, took poison along with 3 Queens and a concubine. A further 21
wives committed sati next day.
- Sri Sawai Maharaja MADHO SINGH I Bahadur, 3rd
of Jaipur 1750/1768,
1728, received the Jagir of Rampura in 1729, but lost it to
the Marathas in 1757, married
(amongst others) (a), 15th May 1761, the daughter of Raja Fateh Singhji
married (b), the daughter of Rawat Jaswant Singhji of Deogarh, married (c), Maharani Ratan
Kunwar, a daughter of Raja Sardar Singhji of Banera,
- Sri Sawai Maharaja Prithvi Singh II Bahadur (by Deogarh
- Sri Sawai Maharaja Pratap Singh Bahadur (by Deogarh
- Sri Sawai Maharaja PRITHVI SINGH II Bahadur, 4th
Maharaja of Jaipur 1768/1778,
a Princess of Bikaner, married (b), a Princess of Kishangarh, and had
He died 13th April 1778.
- Maharajkumar Man Singh, (by the Kishangarh Rani),
born 1777, living
in exile in 1820.
- Sri Sawai Maharaja PRATAP SINGH Bahadur, 5th
born 2nd December
1799 and had issue. He died 1803.
- Sri Sawai Maharaja Jagat Singh II Bahadur (qv)
- Sri Sawai Maharaja JAGAT SINGH II Bahadur, 6th
Maharaja of Jaipur 1803/1818,
married a Bhati
died 1834, and had issue. He died 21st November 1818.
- Sri Sawai Maharaja Jai Singh III Bahadur (by Maharani
- ?Kunwar Sangram Singh, ?adopted to Jhalai (or Isarda),
married and had
- Thakur Nahar Singh of Jhalai.
Sri Sawai Maharaja MAN SINGH II
[Rajkumar Mohan Singh of Narwar], Maharaja of Jaipur [22.12.1818] –
[25.4.1819] (usurper), born about 1809, son of Raja Manohar
Singh of Narwar, installed on the gaddi by an ambitious noble
deposed on the birth of the rightful heir.
- Sri Sawai
Maharaja JAI SINGH III Bahadur, 7th Maharaja of Jaipur 1819/1835,
born 25th April 1819, married
(amongst others) (a), 1829, Maharani Ratan Kunwar, eldest daughter of
Maharao Shri Sheo Singhji of Sirohi,
married (b), Maharani Chandrawatiji of Sankotra,
and had issue. He died 6th February 1835.
- Sawai Maharaja Sir Ram Singh II Bahadur (by Maharani
- Sri Sawai Maharaja Sir RAM SINGH II Bahadur, 8th
Maharaja of Jaipur 1835/1880,
was granted a sanad of adoption in 1862, G.C.S.I. [cr.1863],
a personal gun salute of 19, which was raised further to 21 guns at the
Delhi Durbar in 1877, made a Counsellor of the Empire, C.I.E.
married amongst others (a), 1863, a daughter of Maharaja Takhat Singhji
He died spm on 17th September 1880.
- HH Saramand-i-Rajha-i-Hindustan Raj Rajindra Sri
Sir MADHO SINGH II Bahadur, 9th Maharaja of Jaipur 1880/1922, born
as Kunwar Qayam or Kaim
son of the Thakur Sahib of Isarda on 29th August 1861, his personal gun
was raised to 19 in 1887, and further increased to 21 in 1896, G.C.S.I.
[cr.1888] , G.C.I.E. [cr.1900] , G.C.V.O. [cr.1903], made an Honourary
Colonel of the 13th Rajputs (Shekhawati Regiment), married to five
wives (and 18 concubines who gave him 50 to 60 children, 107 according
to a different source, of
18 sons were alive in 1935 and one son was still alive in 1985), 1stly,
of Thakur Budh Singh Pal of Amargarh in Etah-Karauli, married 2ndly,
the 3rd daughter of Maharaja Prithvi Singhji of Kishangarh,
died 25th March 1893, married 3rdly, 1882, HH Maharani Ba Kunwarba
Sahiba, died after 1922,
daughter of HH Raj Sahib Mansinhji II Ranmalsinhji
of Dhrangadhra, and his third
Baiji Kunwarba Sahiba, married
4thly, 1891, daughter of the Thakur of Khamor in Shahpura, married
1892, the daughter of Thakur Jivraj Singh of Rori in Bikaner, by whom
had one daughter. He died 7th September 1922.
- Lallji Moti Singh
- Raja Gopal Singh, his fathers favourite son. Was
possibly considered as
his successor which would have caused considerable problems amongst the
nobles. He died 1920.
- Raja Jaswant Singh, still living in 1985.
- Baisa (name unknown), married Rao Raja Sagat
- Baisa (name unknown), married Rao Raja Hanut
- Baisa (name unknown), married Rao Raja Abhay
- Baisa (name unknown), married Rao Raja Mohan
Singh, born 10th March
1905, son of Rao Raja Gulab Singh of Jodhpur,
HH Saramad-i-Rajahai Hindustan
Raj Rajendra Shri Maharajadhiraj Sir
MAN SINGH II Bahadur, 10th Maharaja of Jaipur 1922/1970, born as
Kunwar Mor Mukut Singh, younger
son of Thakur Saheb Sawai Singhji of Isarda
1911 in Isarda, adopted 24th March 1921 by his predecessor, Rajpramukh
of Rajasthan 1949/1956, Member of the Rajya Sabha 1962/1965, married
30th January 1924, HH Maharani Marudhar Kunwar, daughter of HH Maharaja
Dhiraj Maharaja Sri Sir Sardar Singhji Bahadur of Jodhpur,
married 2ndly, 24th April 1932, HH Maharani Kishore Kanwar, daughter of
HH Maharaja Sumer Singh of Jodhpur, married
3rdly, 9th May 1940, HH Maharani Gayatri Devi, born 23rd May 1919 in
London, died 29th July 2009 in Jaipur, daughter of HH Maharaja
Jitendra Narayan Bhup Bahadur of Cooch
Behar, and his wife, HH Maharani Indira Devi, and had issue. He
died 24th June 1970 in Cirencester, UK and
was cremated three days later in Jaipur.
- HH Maharani Prem Kumari (by 1st wife), born 13th June
1929 in Simla,
27th May 1948, HH Maharawal Shri Jaideepsinhji of Baria, and had issue. She died 1970.
- HH Saramad-i-Rajahai Hindustan Raj Rajendra Shri
Sawai Bhawani Singh Bahadur (by 1st
- Maharaj Jai Singh (by 2nd wife), Raja
of Jhalai, born 5th May 1933 in
Staines, educated at Harrow School
married 1983, Rani Vidya Devi, born October 1942, daughter of Kanwar
Singh of Jubbal, and has issue.
- Maharaj Prithviraj Singh (by 2nd wife), born 10th
at Harrow School 1950/1954, married 1961, Maharaj Kumari Devika Devi,
daughter of Maharaj Ramendra Kishore Dev Varman of Tripura,
and has issue.
- Rajkumar Vijit Singh, married 1991, Rajkumari
Meenakshi Devi, daughter of Maharaj Pushpendrasinhji Virbhadrasinhji of
- Maharaj Jagat Singh (by 3rd wife), Raja Saheb of Isarda, born 15th October
1949, educated at
1963/1967, married 10th May 1978 (div.), Mom Rajawongse Priyanandana
of the Royal Family Thailand, born 3rd July 1952, and had issue. He
died 5th February
- Rajkumari Lalitya Kumari Singh, born 3rd February
- Maharaj Devraj Singh, Raja
Saheb of Isarda 1997/-; born 13th January 1981.
Raj Rajendra Shri Maharajadhiraj
Sawai BHAWANI SINGH Bahadur M.V.C., 11th Maharaja of Jaipur
in Jaipur, educated in Kashmir, Dehradun and then at Harrow School
(UK) 1946/1950, commissioned into Indian Army in the 3rd Cavalry
as a Second Lieutenant in 1951, selected for the Presidents bodyguard
1954, posted to HQ 50 (Indep.) Para Brigade in 1963, selected and
as Adjutant, Indian Military Academy, Dehradun 1964/1967, volunteered
the new Para Commando Unit and was posted to 10 Para Commando as
in June 1967, became the commanding officer in the following year,
the second highest gallantry award “Maha Vir Chakra” in 1971, for his
in the Indo-Pak war, took voluntary retirement in 1974, he was granted
of Brigadier for life, served as the first Resident High Commissioner
the State of Brunei from July 1993 to January 1997; he was also a noted
polo player in his youth; married 10th March
1967, HH Maharani Saheba Padmini Devi, daughter of Lt. HH Maharaja
Rajendra Prakash Bahadur of Sirmur,
and his second wife, HH Maharani Indira Devi, and had issue. He died
17th April 2011 in Gurgaon of multi-organ failure.
- Maharajkumari Diya Kumari, born 1970, married 1997,
Rajawat of Sawai Madhopur, son of Thakur Budh Singh of Kotda village in
Tonk; he was granted the title of Maharaj in 2003, and has issue.
- Kunwar Padmanabh Singh, he succeded as HH
Saramad-i-Rajahai Hindustan Raj Rajendra Shri Maharajadhiraj Sir
Sawai Padmanabh Singhji Bahadur (qv)
- Baiji Lal Gorvi Devi [Gaurvi Kumari], born
- HH Saramad-i-Rajahai Hindustan Raj Rajendra Shri
Sawai PADMANABH SINGHJI Bahadur, 12th Maharaja of Jaipur (see