|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
On the death of Rao Gangadhar Rao in 1853 without heirs, the state was
annexed by the British under the Doctrine of Lapse. Rulers
- Maharajadhiraj CHATTARSAL,
Raja of Orchha, -/1729
- Peshwa BAJI RAO I
(Pahila Bajirao), 1729/1740, born 1698,
married and had issue. He died 1740.
- Shrimant NAROSHANKER
- Shrimant MADHAV GOVIND
- Shrimant BABULAL KANAHAI
- Shrimant VISHWAS RAO LAXMAN
1766/1769, Subedhar of Jhansi
- Rao RAGHUNATH RAO I,
Rao of Jhansi 1769/1796, died 1796.
- Rao SHIV RAO HARI BHAU,
Rao of Jhansi 1796/1814, married and had issue. He
married Rani Sukhubai and had issue. He died vp?
- Maharajadhiraj Rao Ram Chand Rao (qv)
- Rao Raghunath Rao II (qv)
- Rao Gangadhar Rao (qv)
- Maharajadhiraj Rao RAM
CHAND RAO, Rao of Jhansi 1814/1835, born 1806,
- Rao RAGHUNATH RAO II,
Rao of Jhansi 1835/1838, married Rani Janki Bai, and
had secondary issue. He died 1838.
- Ali Bahadur Newalkar (by a concubine)
- Rao GANGADHAR RAO,
Rao of Jhansi 1838/1853, married May 1842, Rani Lakshmi
or Manu Bai], born 15th June 1834 in Bithur, daughter of Moropant
Rao Tambe, and his wife, Bhagirathi Baishe, she received a traditional
horse-riding and wielding of small arms, forced to retire on a pension
of 6,000Rs, she died in battle on 17th June 1858, and was cremated in a
garden where a memorial was erected after independence in her honour.
died 21st November 1853 without surviving issue and the state
- Son (name unknown), born in 1851, died 1851 aged three
- Rao DAMODAR RAO,
Rao of Jhansi 1853/aft 1898, born 15th November 1849, as
Anand Rao Newalkar, he was adopted by Rani Lakshmi Bai,
but the adoption wasn’t
recognised by the British authorities resulting in the Indian
of Independence [Indian Mutiny], later he petitioned Queen Victoria’s
for recognition which was refused, married and had issue. He died 28th
May 1906 in Indore.
- Laxman Rao Jhansiwale, born 1904, married and had issue.
He died 1959.
- Krishnarao Jhansiwale, married and had issue.
- Chandrakantrao Jhansiwale, married and had issue.
- Pramod Jhansiwale, presently working as a dental
technician in the Mandsore civil hospital.
- Akshay Jhansiwale
- Atul Jhansiwale, presently working for the Indore
married and had issue.
- Rao Raghunath Rao I (see above)
- Rao Shiv Rao Hari Bhau (see above)
married and had issue. This line is conjectural.
married and had issue.
- Vasudeo Newalkar, married and had issue.
- Anand Rao Newalkar [Rao Damodar Rao] (see above)