|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: Founded
state ranks third in the Punjab Darbar. His Highness maintains a
military force of 379 cavalry, 1571 infantry, and 12 guns, and is
entitled to a salute of 11 guns (in 1893). Rulers were ….
- Raja GAJPAT SINGH,
1st Raja of Jind 1763/1789, born 15th April 1738, he seized a large
tract of country,
including Jind and Safidori in 1755, he joined the Dal Khalsa and took
part in the conquest of Sirhind, Panipat and Karnal, he made Jind his
in 1766, he was granted the title of Raja under a royal decree by
Emperor Shah Alam II in February 1772, he seized and held the territory
of Sangrur in 1774, which belonged to the Raja of Nabha, married 1stly,
a daughter of Sardar Kishan Singh Monshia (Mansahia?),
2ndly, 1764, one of his brother’s widows, and had issue. He died 11th
1789 at Sufidon.
- Kanwar Mehr Singh, married and had issue. He died 1780.
- Sardar Hari Singh, born about 1773, married Bibi Dya
Kaur, daughter of Saunda Singh Khanah, and had
issue. He died
- Bibi Chand Kaur, born about 1790, married (as his
second wife), Sardar
Fateh Singh of Thanesar.
She died sp in 1850.
- Sardarni Raj Kaur, married 1774, Sardar Mahan Singh
Sukerchakia of Lahore, and had issue.
- Raja Bhag Singh (qv)
- Sardar Bhup Singh, Chief of Badrukhan and Bazidpur,
married 1stly, a daughter of Arbel Singh of Kaleki, married 2ndly, a
daughter of Gajju Singh of Ralla, and had issue. He
- Sardar Karam Singh (by 1st wife), Chief of Bazidpur,
married and had issue. He died 1818.
- Sardar Basawa Singh (by 2nd wife), Chief of Badrukhan,
married and had issue. He died
- Sardar Sukha Singh, married and had issue. He died
- Harnam Singh, married and had issue. He died 1856.
- HH Raja Sir Hira Singh Malvinder Bahadur, Raja of Nabha.
- Sardar Bhagwan Singh, married and had issue. He died
- Sardar Diwan Singh, born 1841, married and had
- Sardar Harnarain Singh, born 1861.
- Sardar Shamsher Singh, born 1872, married and had
- Sardar Sher Singh, born 1844, died 1882.
- Sardar Chattar Singh, died 1861.
- Bibi Begama Kaur (by 2nd wife)
- Raja BHAG SINGH,
2nd Raja of Jind 1789/1819, born 23rd September 1760, he was a man of
extraordinary vigour, intelligence and diplomatic astuteness, he
maintained friendly relations with the British and accompanied
Lord Lake to the River Beas in pursuit of Jaswant Rao Holkar, married
1stly, Rani Dya Kaur, daughter of Bakhsu Singh of Bari Mansa, married
2ndly, Rani Sada Kaur, daughter of Pakhar Singh of Jodhpur
married 3rdly, Rani
Kaur of the Kaleki zamindari family, she was killed on 23rd August
had issue. He died 1819.
- Raja Fateh Singh (by Rani Dya Kaur) (qv)
- Kunwar Pratap Singh (by Rani Sada Kaur), married 1stly,
Bibi Bhagbari, daughter of Sardar Kirpal Singh of Shamgarh, married
2ndly, Mai Sul Rai, a daughter of Sadha Singh Kakar of Philor. He died sp
in June 1816.
- Kunwar Mahtab Singh (by Rani Sobrahi Kaur), born 1800,
in or about March 1816.
- Raja FATEH SINGH,
3rd Raja of Jind 1819/1822, born 1789, married 1stly, Rani Khem Kaur,
died sp, daughter of Sardar
Didar Singh, married 2ndly, Rani Sahib
Regent of Jind, daughter
of Sardar Kushal Singh Burnewala, and had issue. He died 3rd February
1822 in Sangrur.
- Raja Sangat Singh (by Rani Sahib
- Raja SANGAT SINGH,
4th Raja of Jind 1822/1834, born 1811, installed on gaddi on 30th July 1822, married
1stly, in April 1824,
born about 1812, daughter of Sardar Ranjit Singh of Shahabad, married
2ndly, Rani Sukhan, daughter of Sardar Jiun Singh Dhaliwal, married
3rdly, Rani Nand Kaur, daughter of Dulla Singh of Tibba. He died sp
on 2nd November 1834.
[2.11.1834] – [10.1.1837]
- Raja SARUP SINGH
5th Raja of Jind 1837/1864, born 30th May 1812, son of Sardar Karam
Singh of the Bazidpur
branch, he formally ascended the gadi
in April 1837, he maintained
cordial relations with the British and his loyalty to
them during the Anglo-Sikh wars and the uprising of 1857 was rewarded
with the grant of territories, the right of adoption in case of failure
of direct heirs and other concessions, he was granted Dadri in Haryana
and thirteen villages near Sangrur,
a house in Delhi and an eleven gun salute, he introduced many reforms
in his state on the British model, particularly concerning revenue and
police administration, he was nominated Knight Grand Commander of the
Most Exalted Order of the
Star of India (K.C.S.I.) in September 1863; married
and had issue.
He died of dysentery on 26th January 1864 at Bazidpur.
- Raja-i-Rajgan Raghubir Singh (qv)
- Kunwar Randhir Singh, died sp in 1848.
- Raja-i-Rajgan RAGHUBIR
SINGH, 6th Raja of Jind 1864/1887, born 1832,
installed on the gaddi on
31st March 1864, he was created a Knight Grand Commander of the Most
Exalted Order of the Star of India (K.C.S.I.), and at the Imperial
Assemblage at Delhi, on 1st January 1877, on the
occasion of the Proclamation of Her Most Gracious Majesty as Empress of
India, he was appointed a Councillor of the Empress; he was granted the
title of Raja-i-Rajgan in
married 1stly, a daughter of Chaudhuri Jowahir Singh of Dadri, married
of Sardar Dhian Singh Gill of Rajamajra, and had issue. He died 7th
- Bibi (name unknown) [Sardarni Sahiba of Kalsia]
(by 1st wife), married in April 1865, Sardar Bishan
Singh of Kalsia.
- Tikka Sahib Balbir Singh Bahadur (by 1st wife), born
1856, married and
had issue. He died vp before
- Col. HH Farzand-i-Dilband Rasikh-ul-Itikad
Maharaja Sir Ranbir Singh Rajendra Bahadur (qv)
- Rani Balbir Kaur, married 1902, Raja Mahendra Pratap
Singh of Hathras, and had issue. She
- Bibi (name unknown) [Sardarni Sahiba of Kalsia],
married Sardar Ranjit Singh of Kalsia,
and had issue, one son and daughter.
- Sardar Ravi Sher Singh of Kalsia (qv)
- Bibi (name unknown), married Kumar Shri
Ghanshyamsinhji Daulatsinhji, son of HH Thakur Sahib Shri Sir
Daulatsinhji Jashwantsinhji of Limbdi
Col. HH Farzand-i-Dilband Rasikh-ul-Itikad
Maharaja Sir RANBIR SINGH Rajendra Bahadur, 7th Maharaja of Jind
1887/1948, born 11th October
1879, he succeeded to the gadi
as a minor on 7th March 1887, educated privately, has built schools and
for Widows and Orphans of State servants, and made Primary Education
Jind, Maharaja [cr.1911], G.C.I.E. [cr.1916], K.C.S.I. [cr.1909],
Delhi Durbar Medals 1903 and 1911, married 1stly (unequally), 1900 at
Jaswant Kaur [née Olive Monalescu-van Tassel], married 2ndly, HH
Kaur, married 3rdly, Maharani Buriya, married 4thly, Maharani Gurcharan
Kaur, and had issue. He
- HH Maharaja Rajbir Singh (qv)
- Maharajkumari Balbir Kaur (Princess Diamond), married
Colonel Shamsher Singh, Rajvallabh, M.A. (Cantab.), Jagirdar of
- Maharajkumari Rajbir Kaur (Princess Ruby), born 14th June
Villa Palace, Bhimtal, married April 1945, Sardar Balbir Singh Grewal
issue. She died 11th April 2009 in New Delhi.
- Sardar Rabindra Bir Singh Grewal,
Maharajkumari Rohini/Ganga Kaur, daughter of Col. HH
Shri Maharaja Shri Brajendra Sawai Vrijendra
Singh Bahadur Jang of Bharatpur,
and his second wife, HH Maharani
Videh Kaur, and has
- Kanwar Govind Singh Grewal
- Maharajkumari Jagatbir Kaur (Princess Beryl), married
1stly (sep’d.), Maharajkumar
Fateh Singh Tikari [Prince George] of Tikari,
brother-in-law), Maharajkumar Sumair Singh Tikari
[Prince Bobby Tikari], and had issue, four
died 11th February 2008 in Patna.
- Maharajkumar Rajbir Singh Tikari (by 1st
- Maharajkumar Ranbir Singh Tikari (by 1st
- Maharajkumar Raghubir Singh Tikari (by 1st
marriage), married and
- Kunwar Varun Singh Tikari
- Maharajkumari Shaila Singh Tikari (by 2nd
- Maharajkumar (name
unknown) Singh (by Maharani
Jaswant Kaur), born 12th September 1901, died March
- Maharajkumari Dorothy Kaur (by Maharani
Jaswant Kaur), married and had issue, two children. She died aged in
- Kanwar Karambir Singh
- HH Maharani Prithvi Bir Kaur, married (as his
wife), HH Maharaja Rajbir Singh, and had issue (see below). She died
7th May 2010.
- Maharajkumar Jagatbir Singh, born 1925, married
Mahrajkumari Hemlata Devi, daughter of HH Raja Bahadur Khem Savant
Bhonsle V of Savantwadi, and his wife, HH Rani Lakshmi Devi.
- Lt. General (retd.) Maharajkumar Jasbir Singh of Jind,
Secretary to the Government of India, retired from the Indian Army in
married Rajkumari Gita Shah, daughter of Raja Pratap Bikram Shah of Khairigarh, and his wife, Rani
Bhuvan Shah, and has issue. (Dehra
- Kumari Ira Singh
- Kumari Sanu Singh
- Maharajkumari (name
unknown) Kaur, married Air Commodore Sardar Ravindra Hari
Darshan Singh of Vahali, and had issue.
- Maharajkumari Taranbir Kaur, born 1931, married DFC
Jagdish Chander Verma, died February 1993 in Agra, and has issue. (Dehradun,
- Ajay Verma
- Tina Verma (Mrs. Tina Vijay Chopra).
- HH Maharaja RAJBIR SINGH,
Jind 1948/- , born 1918, married 1stly
Prithvi Bir Kaur (see above), married 2ndly, and had issue.
- HH Maharaja Satbir Singh [“Prince Sunny”] (qv)
- Maharajkumar Gajbir Singh [“Prince Billy”], born 1943,
educated at the
Doon School, Dehra Dun, Uttaranchal, died sp 2nd August 2001.
- Maharajkumar Ravindra Singh [“Prince Robin”], born 1947,
Doon School, Dehra Dun, Uttaranchal, married and had issue, three
He died in 1986.
- educated at the Doon School, Dehra Dun, Uttaranchal,
- Maharajkumar (name
Singh [“Prince Scampy”] (by 2nd marriage), born 1945, educated
at the Doon School, Dehra Dun, Uttaranchal, died 1993.
- Maharajkumar (name
Singh [“Prince Chuckles”] (by 2nd marriage), born 1953,
educated at the Doon School, Dehra Dun, Uttaranchal.
- HH Maharaja SATBIR SINGH,
Jind (see above)