|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: The
state was founded
about 1005AD (traditional date). Rulers were..
- Raja RAGHUNATH SAI,
1st Raja and founder of Kalahandi 1005/1040
- Raja PRATAPNARAYAN DEO I,
2nd Raja of Kalahandi 1040/1072
- Raja BIRABAR DEO,
3rd Raja of Kalahandi 1072/1108
- Raja JUGASAI DEO I,
4th Raja of Kalahandi 1108/1142
- Raja UDENARAYAN DEO,
5th Raja of Kalahandi 1142/1173
- Raja HARICHANDRA DEO,
6th Raja of Kalahandi 1173/1201
- Raja RAMACHANDRA DEO,
7th Raja of Kalahandi 1201/1234
- Raja GOPINATH DEO,
8th Raja of Kalahandi 1234/1271
- Raja BALABHADRA DEO,
9th Raja of Kalahandi 1271/1306
- Raja RAGHURAJ DEO,
10th Raja of Kalahandi 1306/1337
- Raja RAISINGH DEO I,
11th Raja of Kalahandi 1337/1366
- Raja HARIA DEO,
12th Raja of Kalahandi 1366/1400
- Raja JUGASAI DEO II,
13th Raja of Kalahandi 1400/1436
- Raja PRATAPNARAYAN DEO II,
14th Raja of Kalahandi 1436/1468
- Raja HARIRUDRA DEO,
15th Raja of Kalahandi 1468/1496
- Raja ANKU DEO, 16th
Raja of Kalahandi 1496/1528
- Raja PRATAP DEO,
17th Raja of Kalahandi 1528/1564
- Raja RAGHUNATH DEO,
18th Raja of Kalahandi 1564/1594
- Raja BISWAMBHAR DEO, 19th Raja of Kalahandi
1594/1627, married and had issue.
- Raja Raisingh Deo II (qv)
- Raja RAISINGH DEO II, 20th Raja of Kalahandi
1627/1658, married and had issue.
- Raja Dusmant Deo (qv)
- Sri Padman Singh, Zamindar of Thuamul.
- Raja DUSMANT DEO, 21st Raja of Kalahandi 1658/1693,
married and had issue.
- Raja Jugasai Deo III (qv)
- Sri Bishwanath Singh
- Sri Pratap Rai Singh, Zamindar of Dadpur.
- Raja JUGASAI DEO III, 22nd Raja of Kalahandi
1693/1721, married and had issue.
- Raja Khadag Rai Deo (qv)
- Sri Mohan Rai Singh, Zamindar of Koksara.
- Sri Bhramarbar Deo, Zamindar of Lanjigarh.
- Sri Nathu Singh, Zamindar of Chhorlagarh.
- Sri Chakradhar Singh, Zamindar of Khariyar.
- Raja KHADAG RAI DEO, 23rd Raja of Kalahandi
1721/1747, married and had issue.
- Raja Raisingh Deo III (qv)
- Sri Pratap Singh, Zamindar of Baldhiamal.
- Sri Keshari Singh, in rebellion.
- Raja RAISINGH DEO III, 24th Raja of Kalahandi
1747/1771, married and had issue.
- Raja PURUSOTTAM DEO, 25th Raja of Kalahandi
1771/1796, married and had issue.
- Raja Jugasai Deo IV (qv)
- Sri Bishwanath Deo, Zamindar of Lanjigarh.
- Sri Sunder Singh, Zamindar of Dadpur.
- Raja JUGASAI DEO IV, 26th Raja of Kalahandi
1796/1831, married and had issue.
- Raja Fateh Narayan Deo (qv)
- Raja FATEH NARAYAN DEO, 27th Raja of Kalahandi
1831/1853, married and had
- HH Raja Bahadur Udit Pratap Deo (qv)
- Sri Krishna Deo
- Sri Gopinath Deo, Zamindar of Dadpur.
- Rajkumari (name unknown), married Maharaja Udit
Narayan Singh Deo of Seraikella,
and had issue, four sons.
- HH Raja Bahadur UDIT PRATAP DEO, 28th Raja of
Kalahandi 1853/1881, born 1839?, Raja
he was granted
a permanent salute of 9 guns in 1878, married and had issue. He died
- HH Raja Bahadur Raghu Kesari Deo (qv)
- Rajkumari Giriraj Kumari [Rani Giriraj Kumari of Bamra],
married 1871, Raja Sir Basudeb Sudhaldeb of Bamra,
issue. She died about 1873.
- HH Raja Bahadur RAGHU KESARI DEO, 29th Raja of
Kalahandi 1881/1897, born 1871,
married and had
issue. He died 20th October 1897.
- HH Maharaja Brij Mohan Deo (qv)
- HH Maharaja BRIJ MOHAN DEO, 30th Maharaja of
Kalahandi 1897/1939, born 14th May
educated at Rajkumar College, Raipur; married 1916, Rajkumari
Suratarangini Devi [HH Maharani Suratarangini Devi of Kalahandi], only
Satchitananda Tribhuban Deb of Bamra,
had issue. He died 19th September 1939.
- Tikayet Rani Kusum Manjari Devi, married Tikayat
Nrupendra Narayan Singh Deo, eldest son and heir of Maharaja Aditya
Pratap Singh Deo of Seraikella, and
had issue, six sons and four daughters. She died 1990.
- HH Maharaja Pratap Kesari Deo (qv)
- Rani Jyoti Manjari Devi, born 1st January 1920, she
active politics by joining the Ganatantra Parishad Party in 1955,
and had a keen interest in education for the people of her constituency
of Deogarh; M.L.A. (Orissa) 1957/1961; interests and pastimes were
gardening and religious activities; maried Raja Bhanuganga Tribhuban
Deb of Bamra, and had issue, two sons
and one daughter. She died 30th January 1986.
- Rani Soubhagya Manjari Devi, married to Raja Anup Singh
Deo of Khariar, and had issue, three sons
and five daughters.
- Maharajkumar Bira Kesari Deo B.A., born 22nd May 1927,
(Orissa); Member, Bhawanipatna Municipal Council 1951/1956
and Chairman 1953/1956; Member, Assurances and Estimate
Committees; Member, Swatantra Party State
Executive Committee; M.L.A. (Orissa) 1957/1967; Member of Rajya Sabha
interests are Anthropology, Hunting and Cricket; married Maharajkumari
Manjushree Devi, daughter of Kumar Saheb Nagendra
Singh Deo of Nua Pacca II ,
has issue, two daughters and four sons. (Post
Office, Bhawanipatna, Kalahandi, Orissa)
- Kumar Bharat
Bhushan Deo, married Rajkumari Asha Poorna Devi, third daughter of Raja
Anup Singh Deo of Khariar, and his wife, Shrimati Rani Soubhagya Manjari
Devi, and has issue, one son and one daughter.
- Kumari Aparna Devi
- Kumar Abhishek Deo
Kumari Anjali Devi, married [?Kunwar Surendra Dev
Singh of Poonch], and has issue.
- Kumari Parvati Devi, married Kumar Bharat Chandra Bhanj
Deo, son of Lal Saheb Sarat Chandra Bhanj Deo of Sompata in Mayurbhanj,
and has issue, three sons.
- Kumar Lankeshwar Prasad Singh Deo
Kumar Sangram Kesari Deo, married Kumari Sindhu
Kumari, daughter of Kumar Jogeswar Singh Deo of Nuagarh in Seraikella, and his wife,
Annapurna Devi, and has issue, one son and two daughters.
- Kumar Aditya Pratap Deo
- HH Maharaja PRATAP KESARI DEO B.A., M.A., 31st
Maharaja of Kalahandi 1939/2001, born
19th September 1939; Vice-President,
Eastern States Union, 1947; President of Ganatantra Parishad 1954/1955
and 1959/1960; Chairman, Board of Foresty and Agricology, Eastern
Agency; President of Sree Neelachal Seva Sangha, New Delhi; President
Rajaji Memorial Committee; Member of Central Board of Wild Life; Member
of Central board of Archaeology; Life-Member of Bombay National
History Society, the Asiatic Society of Calcutta, and the Numismatic
Society of India; President,
General Council, University 1957/1960 and Sambalpur University 1960/-;
Member and Deputy Leader of the Opposition, Orissa Legislative
Assembly, 1952/1956; Member of Forest Enquiry Committee, Orissa,
1958/1959; Member of State Department Advisory Board, Orissa,
1958/1959, Member of
National Railway user’s Consultative Committee, 1962/1964; Member,
Lok Sabha, 1957/1962, Third Lok Sabha, 1962/1967, Fourth Lok Sabha,
1967/1970, Fifth Lok Sabha, 1971/1977; Leader of Ganatantra Parishad in
Parliament, 1957/1962; Leader of Swatantra Party in Parliament, 1962
1971/1975; Leader of Bharatiya Lok Dal in Parliament, 1975/1976; Member
of the following committees, Estimates Committee, 1959/1960 and
1962/1964; Railway Convention
Committee and Consultative Committee; Leader,
Indian Delegation to Commonwealth Parliamentary Association Conference
at Lagos; author of My humble Contributions, Turbulent Five
Years, The Forgotten Forts of Kalahandi; married HH
Maharani Kasturika Mohini Devi,
died 1983, daughter of Sri Gajapati Raja Ramchandra Deb IV of Puri,
and his wife, Rani
Chandramani Pattamahadei, and had issue, two sons and two daughters. He
died 8th October 2001 in Delhi.
- HH Maharani Savitri Devi, married 6th May 1962,
Brig.(retd) HH Maharaja
Kamakhya Prasad Singh Deo Mahendra Bahadur of Dhenkanal, and has issue.
- HH Maharaja Udit Pratap Deo (qv)
Kesari Deo, born 26th November 1952 in Bhawanipatna, Distt. Kalahandi,
Orissa, educated at St. Stephen’s College and the University of Delhi
M.L.A. (Orissa) 1985/2000 (three terms); Member of the 12th
(1998/1999), 13th (1999/2004) and 14th Lok Sabha (2004/-); Leader of
Party, 1990/1995; Vice
President, B.J.P., Orissa, 1999/-; Member, Special Committee on Natural
Calamities in 1985/1998; Member, Library Committee 2000/2001; Member,
Committee on External
Affairs; Member, Committee on Subordinate Legislation; Member,
Consultative Committee, Ministry of Water
Resources in 1998/1999; Member, Committee on Surface Transport in
Committee on Water Resources 2004/-; Member,
Committee on Estimates; Member, Committee on Petitions; Member,
Advisory Committee; Member, Committe on Public undertakings; Member,
Public Accounts Commitee; Member, Urban Development Consultative
Committee; Vice-Chairman, Environment and Wild
life Protection Society, Bhawanipatna; Vice-President, Zilla Sainik
board; Member, Wild Life Advisory Board, Orissa; Participated in the
Kranti Movement 1973/1974 and the Ayodhya Movement; Member, Central
Board of Arachacology 2004/-; Member, Rose Society of India 2005/-;
Member, Indian delegation to World Summit for Sustainable
Development, Johannesburg; attended the 59th Session of United Nations
General Assembly and was part of Legal Committee; President, Kalahandi
Law College and various Colleges and High Schools in Orissa; Member,
Sahitya Samiti; Member, Wildlife and Environment Conservation Society,
Kalahandi ; Member, Mahabir Sanskrutik Anushthan; Life Member, National
Rifle Association of India; Life Member,
Delhi Gymkhana Club; Life Member,
Bhubaneswar Club; Member, Kalahandi
Cricket Club, Member, Kalahandi Rifle Club, Member, Orissa State
Association, Member, Kalahandi Adventure Sports Association; Member,
Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH);interests
and pastimes are Social Work, Photography, Outdoor life, playing
tennis, cricket, football, wild life photography and Reading, listening
to music, wildlife photography
and visiting national parks, sanctuaries and places of heritage;
married 3rd May 1974, Pattayet Rani Shrimant Nayanshree Devi,
daughter of Sri Gajapathi Maharaj Bira Kishore Deb, Raja Saheb of Puri,
and his wife, Maharani Suryamani
has issue, one son and two daughters.
- Kumari Arundhati Devi [Rani Arundhati Devi of Bamra],
married Raja Nitish
Deb, Raja Saheb of Bamra, and has issue,
- Yuvrani Aparajita Devi, married Yuvraj Gopal Narayan
Singh Deo of Kharsawan, and has issue,
- Kumar Saheb Arka Kesari Deo, married Kumar Rani
Malavika Devi of Ambotah, Una Dist., H.P., and has issue, one son.
- Maharajkumari Geeta
Devi (Rani Geeta Devi of Sanjeli), married Raja Manvendra
Singh of Sanjeli, died 24th November
2006 at Indore, after a prolonged illness; and has issue, two
- HH Maharaja UDIT PRATAP DEO II, 32nd Maharaja of
Kalahandi (see above)