|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: Predecessor
state of Mathura, founded
about 900AD by Raja Brahm Pal. His Highness the Maharaja maintains a
military force of 281 cavalry, 1640 infantry, and 56 guns, and is
entitled to a salute of 17 guns (as of 1892). Rulers
- Maharaja CHHATRA PAL [Chhatra Man], 24th Maharaja of
Karauli 1643/1655, ruled at
Bahadurpur, married and had issue.
- Maharaja Dharam Pal II (qv)
- Rao Bhup Pal, he was granted the Jagir of Inayati and the title of Rao at the same
- Maharaja DHARAM PAL II, 25th Maharaja of Karauli
1655/1674, 25th Maharaja of Mathura
and its successor states, and the first Maharaja to rule at Karauli,
married and had issue.
- Maharaja Kunwar Pal II, Maharaja of Karauli (qv)
- Rao Kirti Pal, he was granted the Jagir of Hadoti and
Gareri, and the title of Rao at the same time.
- Thakur Bhoj Pal, he was granted the Jagir of Rawanthara,
and the title of Thakur at the same time.
- Maharaja RATAN PAL, 26th Maharaja of Karauli
- Maharaja KUNWAR PAL II, 27th Maharaja of Karauli
1688/1724, married and had issue.
- Maharaja Gopal Singh (qv)
- Maharaja GOPAL SINGH, 28th Maharaja of Karauli
he was considered to be a
very wise and good administrator,
he extended his rule over 253 villages across the Chambal river, up to
Vijaypur. The borders of Karauli state extended up to within 15kms of
Gwalior. He caused to be built the Gopal temple, Madan Mohan temple,
new Kalyan temple,
Tripolia gate, Deewan E Aam and Nakkar Khana. He died sp 1757
was succeeded by a cousin.
- Maharaja TURSAM PAL, 29th Maharaja of Karauli
married and had issue. He
died 24th October 1772.
- Maharaja Manik Pal (qv)
- Rao Juhar Pal, founded Juhargarh and was adopted to
Hadoti, married and had issue.
- Rao Ameer Pal of Hadoti, married and had issue.
- Maharaj (name unknown)
- Maharaj Bhairon Pal, married and had issue.
- Maharaj Mangal Pal, married and had issue.
- Maharaja Arjun Pal II (qv)
- Maharaj Durjan Pal, married and had issue.
- HH Maharaja Sir Bhanwar Pal Deo Bahadur Yadakul
Chandra Bhal (qv)
- Maharaj Sujan Pal, Thakur Sahib of Pardampura,
- HH Maharaja Sir Bhom Pal Deo Bahadur Yadakul
Chandra Bhal (qv)
- Maharaj Moti Pal
- Maharaj Padam Pal, married and had issue.
- Maharaj Jatu Pal, married and had issue.
- Maharaja MANIK PAL, 30th Maharaja of Karauli
married and had issue.
- Maharaja Amolak Pal (qv)
- Maharaja Harbaksh Pal (qv)
- Maharajkumari (name unknown), married 1785, Rao
Raja Bishan Singhji of Bundi.
AMOLAK PAL, 31st Maharaja of Karauli 1804/1805, rebelled against
father; married (amongst
others), the elder daughter of Raja Bahadur Singh Sahib of Jaoli.
He died sp in Utgarh in 1804
- Maharaja HARBAKSH PAL, 32nd Maharaja of Karauli
1805/1837, born circa 1792, he
adopted Rao Pratap Pal of Hadoti (see above), and died 1837.
- (A) Maharaja Pratap Pal (qv)
- Maharaja PRATAP PAL, 33rd Maharaja of Karauli
married (amongst others),
(a), Maharani Takhat
Kumari of Khandela-Senior,
married (b), a daughter of Raja Fateh Singh Sahib of Jaoli, and had issue as well as adoptive
issue. He died spm 1849.
- Maharajkumari (name unknown), married Maharao
Chhatar Sal of Kotah.
- (A) Maharaja Narsingh Pal (qv)
- Maharaja NARSINGH PAL, 34th Maharaja of Karauli
1849/1852, adopted from Hadoti, he
adopted a distant
day before his death, died sp 10th January 1852.
- (A) Maharaja Bharat Pal (qv)
- Maharaja BHARAT PAL, 35th Maharaja of Karauli
it was first proposed to
of lapse, but finally his adoption was recognized. In the meantime a
party had been formed in favour of Madan Pal, a nearer relative, whose
claim was supported by the opinions of several chiefs in Rajasthan. An
inquiry was ordered, and it was ascertained that the adoption of Bharat
Pal was informal by reason of the minority of the Maharaja and the
of certain necessary rites.
- Maharaja Sir MADAN PAL, 36th Maharaja of Karauli
1854/1869, he was accepted by the Ranis and
by nine of the
most influential Thakurs, and was recognized as the ruler on 14th March
1854, he sent
a body of troops against the Kotah rebels in 1857, and for these
he was created a Knight Grand Commander of the Most Exalted Order of
the Star of India (G.C.S.I.), a debt of 1.2 lakhs to the British
was remitted, a dress of honour was conferred, and the salute was
increased from 15 to 17 guns, a sanad of adoption was also
in 1862, he married (amongst others) (a), a daughter of Thakur
Vrishbhan Singh Tanwar, married (b), in 1867, Maharani Phool Kunwar,
sixth daughter of Maharao Shri Sheo Singhji of Sirohi. He died sp
16th August 1869.
- Maharaja LAKSHMAN PAL, 37th Maharaja of Karauli in
or 1869/1871, not recognized
as Maharaja in some sources.
- Maharaja JAISINGH PAL, 38th Maharaja of Karauli
1871/1875, there was a dispute on the
matter of adoption, it took almost 2 years to finalize the matter,
meanwhile the state was managed by Thakur Vrishbhan Singh Tanwar,
father-in-law of Maharaja Madan Palji. Finally, Jaisingh Pal, Rao
of Hadoti was adopted as the successor. He died sp 17th
- Maharaja ARJUN PAL II, 39th Maharaja of Karauli
1876/1886, adopted from Hadoti in
January 1876, died 14th August 1886 (#1).
- HH Maharaja Sir BHANWAR PAL Deo Bahadur Yadakul Chandra
Bhal, 40th Maharaja of Karauli 1886/1927,
born 24th July 1864, adopted from Padampura, educated at Mayo College,
Ajmer; he succeeded to the gadi on 14th August 1886 and obtained full
powers in 1889, G.C.I.E. [cr.1897], K.C.IE. [cr.1894], married six
including, 1stly 1878, daughter of Apji Ajit Singh of Koela, married
1880, a daughter of Raja Kushal Singh of Khandela-Senior,
married 3rdly, HH Maharani Sengariji Sahiba, daughter of
Raja Rup Shah of Jagmanpur in Jalaun
district of United Provinces; married 4thly, 1889, a daughter of Thakur
of Mandawa-Senior, married
Baijilal Sajjan Kumari [HH Maharani Sajjan Kumari of Karauli], daughter
of Raja Akshay Singh of Banera, and his
second wife, Rani Mertaniji. He died sp on 3rd August 1927.
HH Maharaja Sir BHOM PAL Deo Bahadur Yadakul Chandra
Bhal, 41st Maharaja of Karauli
16th June 1866, recognised as the Head of the Yadava Rajputs, married
the daughter of Raja Bahadur Bhagwan Singh, married 2ndly, a sister of
Bahadur Bhagwan Singh, married 3rdly, a daughter of Thakur Chiman
and had issue. He died 6th April 1947.
- HH Maharaja Shri Ganesh Pal Deo Bahadur Yadakul Chandra
- HH Maharaja Shri GANESH PAL Deo Bahadur Yadakul Chandra
Bhal, 42nd Maharaja of Karauli 1947/1984, educated at Mayo College,
Ajmer; married (amongst
others) (a), a daughter of Raja Krishna Dutt Singh, Raja of Oel and Kaimahra, married (b), HH
Jas Kanwar, daughter of Raja Shri Hamir Singh of Khandela-Senior,
and his fourth wife, Rani Tanwarji, and had issue. He died 1984.
- Yuvaraj Brijendra Pal Deo, born 27th October 1927,
1947, Maharajkumari Dhairiya Kunwarba Sahiba, daughter of Major HH
Shri Maharaja Shri Raj Sir Ghanshyamsinhji Ajitsinhji
Sahib Bahadur of Dhrangadhra, and
his fifth wife, HH Maharani Nawal Kunwarba
He died sp 9th August 1984.
- Yuvraj Surendra Pal Deo married Yuvrani Narendra Kumari
of Sailana, and had issue. He died vp.
- Maharani Brijrajnandini Devi, married 12th March 1955, HH
Virbhadrasinhji Krishnakumarsinhji of Bhavnagar.
- HH Maharaja Shri KRISHAN CHANDER PAL Deo Bahadur Yadakul
Chandra Bhal, 43rd Maharaja of Karauli