|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: Predecessor
1255, and Kutch state was established by Jam Khengarji I, in 1548.
HisHighness the Maharao maintains a military force of 354 cavalry, 1412
infantry, and 164 guns, and is entitled to a salute of 1 7 guns (as of
1892). Rulers were…
- Jam GAOJI, Jam Saheb 1255/1285
- Jam VAHENJI. Jam Saheb 1285/1321
- Jam MULVAJI, Jam Saheb 1321/1347
- Jam KAIYAJI, Jam Saheb 1347/1386
- Jam AMARJI, Jam Saheb 1386/1429
- Jam BHEENJI, Jam Saheb 1429/1472
- Jam HAMIRJI, Jam Saheb 1472/1535, married and had issue. He
was murdered about
- Rao Khengarji I Hamirji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Aliaji Hamirji of Ramayan
- Kumar Shri Sahebji Hamirji, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Jasoji Sahebji of Vinjan
- Kumar Shri Hamirji Sahebji of Mothara
- Kumar Shri Panchanji Sahebji, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Devaji Panchanji of Ruva Sumri Roha.
- Kumar Shri Tamachiji Sahebji
- Kumar Shri Rayabji Hamirji
- Rao KHENGARJI I HAMIRJI,
1st Rao Saheb of Kutch 1548/1585 (Jam from 1535), born
about 1510, married
and had issue. He died 1585.
- Rao Bharmalji I Khengarji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Bhojrajji Khengarji, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Aliaji Bhojrajji of Kera Parganah.
- Rao BHARMALJI I KHENGARJI,
2nd Rao Saheb of Kutch 1585/1631, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Jethiji Bharmalji
- Rao Bhojrajji Bharmalji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Meghji Bharmalji, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Khengarji
Meghji, he succeeded as Rao Khengarji II Bhojrajji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Rayadhanji Bharmalji
- Kumar Shri Pragji Bharmalji
- Kumar Shri Asaji Bharmalji
- Kumar Shri Laghdirji Bharmalji
- Rao BHOJRAJJI BHARMALJI,
3rd Rao Saheb of Kutch 1631/1645, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Ajoji Bhojrajji of Madi
- Rao Tamachiji Bhojrajji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Unadji Bhojrajji of Varsamedi
- Kumar Shri Abhairajji Bhojrajji of Chirai
- Kumar Shri Ramsinhji Bhojrajji of Bhachau
- Kumar Shri Sujoji Bhojrajji of Pakdasar
- Kumar Shri Kumbhoji Bhojrajji of Kumbhardi
- Rao KHENGARJI II BHOJRAJJI,
Rao Saheb of Kutch 1645/1654,
born as Kumar Shri Khengarji
Meghji, he was adopted by his uncle, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Hamirji Khengarji of Aniras
- Rao TAMACHIJI BHOJRAJJI,
5th Rao Saheb of Kutch 1654/1662, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Hajoji Tamachiji of Dhamarka
- Rao Rayadhanji II Tamachiji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Hardholji Tamachiji
- Kumar Shri Kalyanji Tamachiji of Vadli
- Kumar Shri Meghji Tamachiji of Sagliyu
- Rao RAYADHANJI II TAMACHIJI,
6th Rao Saheb of Kutch 1662/1697, married (amongst
Sahiba, daughter of Raj Sahib Meghrajji II Amarsinhji of Dhrangadhra, and had
He died 1697.
- Maharao Pragmalji I Rayadhanji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Nanghanji Rayadhanji, married and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Haloji Nanghanji of Kothara
- Kumar Shri Sattoji Nanghanji of Nara
- Kumar Shri Devaji Nanghanji of Akri
- Kumar Shri Bharoji Nanghanji of Goniasar
- Kumar Shri Ravaji Rayadhanji, married and had issue.
- Thakur Sahib Kanyaji Ravaji, he consolidated Morvi.
- Kumar Shri Sujoji Rayadhanji of Tharahada
- Kumar Shri Jinoji Rayadhanji of Kera
- Kumar Shri Gopalji Rayadhanji of Faradi
- Kumar Shri Modji Rayadhanji of Gundara
- Kumar Shri Abhairajji Rayadhanji
- Maharao PRAGMALJI I
RAYADHANJI, 7th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1697/1715, married and
- Maharao Ghodaji I Pragmalji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Niranji Pragmalji of Godhra
- Kumar Shri Sagramji Pragmalji of Katariya
- Kumar Shri Karanji Pragmalji of Mankuva
- Kumar Shri Dudoji Pragmalji
- Maharao GHODAJI I PRAGMALJI,
8th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1715/1718, married and had
- Maharao Desalji I Ghodaji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Rayabhji Ghodaji of Khakhar.
- Kumar Shri Jiwanji Ghodaji of Ratadiya.
- Kumar Shri Hajoji Ghodaji of Patri.
- Kumar Shri Umroji Ghodaji of Gajod.
- Maharao DESALJI I GHODAJI
[Daishalji] (Desara Parmesara), 9th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1718/1741,
others), Maharani Ratna Sahiba, daughter of Raj
Jaswantsinhji Gajsinhji of Dhrangadhra, and had issue. He died
- Mirza Maharao Lakhpatji Desalji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Rayadhanji Desalji
- Mirza Maharao LAKHPATJI
DESALJI, 10th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1741/1760, married and had
- Mirza Maharao Ghodaji II Lakhpatji (qv)
- Maharaj Mansinhji Lakhpatji of Dujapur.
- Maharaj Khanji Lakhpatji of Khanpar.
- Maharaj Sabalji Lakhpatji of Khirasra.
- Maharaj Jiwanji Lakhpatji of Desalpar.
- Maharaj Hajoji Lakhpatji of Jhakhau.
- Maharaj Umroji Lakhpatji of Trambuv.
- Mirza Maharao GHODAJI II
LAKHPATJI, 11th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1760/1778, married
Shri Motiba Sahiba, daughter of Raj Sahib Raisinhji
Pratapsinhji of Dhrangadhra,
and his sixth wife, Rani Bajiba Sahiba, and
had issue. He died 1778.
- Mirza Maharao Rayadhanji Ghodaji III (qv)
- Maharaj Prithvirajji Ghodaji Sahib [Bhaijibawa]
- Mirza Maharao RAYADHANJI
GHODAJI III, 12th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1778/1786, born 1764,
FATEH MUHAMMED 1786/1813
HUSAIN MIYAN 1813/1814
- Mirza Maharao BHARMALJI
RAYADHANJI II, 13th Maharao Saheb of Kutch
- Mirza Maharao DESALJI
BHARMALJI II [Daishalji], 14th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1819/1860,
1stly, Maharani Baijirajba Sahiba, daughter of Raj Sahib Amarsinhji
Raisinhji of Dhrangadhra,
and his seventh wife, Rani Ram Kunwarba Sahiba, married 2ndly,
Rupaliba Sahiba, daughter of Raj Sahib Amarsinhji
Raisinhji of Dhrangadhra,
and his fourth wife, Rani Sahib Kunwarba Sahiba, and had issue. He died
26th July 1860.
- Mirza Maharao Pragmalji Desaji II (qv)
- Thakur Saheb Hamirji Desalji Sahib of Tera, married and
- Thakur Saheb Gagubha Hamirji Sahib of Tera (41
villages), married and
- Thakurani Jijiraj Ba Sahiba, married 1898 (as his
fourth wife), Thakur
Amar Sinhji of Namli in Madhya Pradesh.
- Thakur Saheb Jethisinhji Gagubha of Tera, married
Kumari Shri Tara Kunwarba Sahiba, daughter of Kumar Shri Shivsinhji
Govindsinhji of Hampar in Dhrangadhra,
Kumari Shri Raj Kunwarba Sahiba, and
- Thakur Saheb Dr. Rudrasinhji Jethisinhji Jadeja of
Tera, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot; married and had issue. He
died 25th January 2003.
- Kumar Shri Mayurdhwajsinhji Rudrasinhji, educated
at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1985).
- Kumar Shri Narendrasinhji Jethisinhji, educated
at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1958).
- Kumar Shri Gajendrasinhji Jethisinhji, educated
at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1971).
- [?Thakur Saheb Nanubha Hamirji Sahib of Tera,
- Thakurani Manhar
Kunwarba, married Col. Thakur Rajendra Sinhji of Namli, and had issue.]
- Mirza Maharao PRAGMALJI
DESALJI II G.C.S.I., 15th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1860/1876, born
early on he showed himself anxious to improve the management of the
State, he framed codes for the guidance of his officers in matters of
and criminal justice, he undertook works of public usefulness, and
introduced State systems of public instruction and of vaccination, in
recognition of his excellent administration he was honoured with the
title of Knight Grand Commander of the Star of India in 1871; he
constructed important public works, e.g. the Albert Edward Breakwater
Harbour Works at Mandvi, the Alfred High School at Bhuj, the provincial
centre of education, and the establishment of two “Rao Shri Pragmalji
Scholarships” in the Elphinstone College, and two in Sir Jamsetji
Jijibhai’s School of Art, Bombay, he also constructed the Pragsar Tank,
an immense reservoir of rain water in the
Chadwa range of hills, and a causeway in the large Hamirsar tank, he
also built the Jail, the Hospital, the Horse and Elephant Stables, and
the Schools at Bhuj and Mandvi, he remitted transit duties, and
occasionally remitted import duties in times of scarcity or deficient
Maharani Achuba Kunwarba Sahiba, daughter of HH Raj Sahib Ranmalji
Amarsinhji of Dhrangadhra, and his
first wife, HH Rani
Kunwarba Sahiba, married 2ndly, 1862,
Karsan Kunwarba Sahiba [Krishna Kumari], daughter of HH Raj Sahib
Ranmalji Amarsinhji of Dhrangadhra,
died 1st January 1876.
- HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza Maharao Shri Sir Khengarji
Pragmalji III Sawai
- Maharaj Kumar Kalyansinhji Pragmalji Saheb, born 1870,
educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot, he was created a Companion of the
Most Eminent Order of the Indian Empire in 1887, married in March
a Princess of Aramda in Okha, Kathiawar.
- Kumari Bairajba [HH Maharani Sahiba of
Bikaner], married 187x, HH Maharaja Shri Dungar Singhji of Bikaner.
- HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza Maharao Shri Sir
PRAGMALJI III Sawai
Bahadur G.C.I.E., 16th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1876/1942, born
1866, on 11th August 1884, having attained his majority of eighteen
years of age, he was invested with full ruling powers, formally
installed on 14th November 1884, he was granted the title of Sawai
Bahadur on 2nd March 1885 as a hereditary distinction, he was created a
Knight Grand Commander of the Indian Empire (G.C.I.E.) in 1887, and
a Knight Grand Commander of the Most
Exalted Order of the Star of India (G.C.S.I.) in 1917, he enjoys a
local gun salute of 19, Member
of the Standing Committe of Indian Princes’ Chamber, he evinced a deep
interest in education, and especially in the education of women, by
founding a Sanskrit school or Pathshala, the Fergusson Museum and
Library at Bhuj, as well as a number of scholarships for both male and
female students, he made considerable improvements in public works,
including the extension of roads, the pier and reclamation works, and
the erection of new buildings; well irrigation, and other means of
irrigation have also been adopted, strenuous efforts have also been
made in the direction of reclamation of waste land and fifteen new
villages have been established; married
simultaneously on 19th
February 1884 in a joint ceremony (#1),
HH Maharani Motiba Saheb, daughter
of the Thakur Sahib of Sayla, married simultaneously on 19th February
1884 in a joint ceremony, HH
daughter of Raj Rana Jalamsinhji of Charadva
in Dhrangadhra, and had issue. He passed away on 15th January 1942.
- HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza Maharao Shri Vijayarajji
- Kumar Shri Godji Khengarji Saheb [Manubha], born 12th
September 1888 (#1),
he received an appanage in the villages of Chasra and Mokha in the
Taluka of Mundra in Kutch; married
Saheba, daughter of Maharaj Jai Singh of Bambolia,
and his wife, Rani Jadav Kunwar, and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Zorawarsinhji Godji, married Rani
Pushpawali Kunwar, daughter of Rajkumar Pratap Singh, Yuvaraj Saheb of Banera, and had issue, three sons and one
- Kumar Shri Ghanshyamsinhji Zorawarsinhji, educated
Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1961); married Baijilal Shobha Kumari,
daughter of Thakur
Prithviraj Singh of Bidwal, and his
wife, Thakurani Shrimant Daulat Kunwarji,
- Kunwar Adityasinhji Ghanshyamsinhji, educated at
Daly College and at Simbiosis College, Puna (B.Com.)
- Kunwar Raghuvirsinhji Jorawarsinhji, educated at
Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1965).
- Kunwar Devendrasinhji Jorawarsinhji, educated at
Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1968).
- Kumar Shri Narpatsinhji Godji
- Kumar Shri Naharsinhji Godji, married Rani Shyamlata
- HH Maharani Dilhar Kumari, born 30th January 1925 in
married 19th May
1943, HH Maharana Sahib Devi Singhji of Barwani,
died 18th August 2007.
- Kumar Shri Dilipsinhji Godji, born 16th August 1927,
educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1947); married in
Rani Saheba Narendra Kumari, born
16th September 1934, died 23rd October 2000, daughter of Maharaj
Virbhadra Singh of Dungarpur,
and his wife, Rani Tej
Kunwar, and has issue.
- Rajkumari Veena Kumari, born 25th July 1954, married
22nd January 1976,
Kunwar Abhimanyu Singh of Churhat,
15th January 1950, and has issue.
- Kunwar Abhijeet Singh, born 19th
- Baiji Lal Aradhana Kumari, born
- Rajkumari Mandakini Kumari, born 12th June 1959,
married 10th July 1988 (div. 24th March 2000), Kumar Shri Ajayveersinh
Ghanshyamsinh Chapotkat of Mansa,
born 30th September 1958, and has issue, one
- Kumar Shri Jayvardhan Sinh Chapotkat, born
- Kunwar Devrajsinhji Dilipsinhji, born 11th August
1960, married 5th May
1992, Kunwarani Jaylakshmi Devi, daughter of HH Thakore Sahib Shri
Kedarendradevsinhji Surendrasinhji of Wadhwan,
his wife, HH Thakorani Saheb Jayshree Kumari, and
- Baiji Lal Malavika Kumari, born 7th September 1993.
- Baiji Lal Ambika Kumari, born 28th March 2001.
- Maharajkumar Lakhubha Khengarji Sahib, died young.
- Maharajkumari Kesaba Saheb [HH Maharani Saheb of Kotah],
married 17th April 1897 at Bhuj, Colonel HH Maharao Shri Umaid Singhji
II of Kotah.
- Maharajkumari (name unknown) [HH Maharani Saheb
of Ratlam], married 29th June 1902, Col. HH Maharaja Sir
- Maharajkumari Takhat Kunverba Saheb [HH Maharani Saheb
of Sirohi], married HH Maharajadhiraj Maharao Sir Sarup Ram
Singhji of Sirohi.
- HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza
Maharao Shri VIJAYARAJJI KHENGARJI
[Madhubha], 17th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1942/1948, born 2nd September
1885, married 6th March 1907,
Padmakunwar Ba Sahiba, daughter of HH Maharao Kesari Singhji Bahadur of
Sirohi, and had
issue. He passed away on 26th February 1948.
- Yuvaraj Shri Madansinhji
Bahadur, he succeeded as HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza Maharao Shri
of Kutch (qv)
- Maharajkumar Sahib Natwarsinhji Vijayrajji, died young.
- Maharajkumar Shri Fatehsinhji Vijayrajji Jadeja, married
- Rani Virendra Kumari, born 12th December 1940, married
Brig. Shri V. P. Singhji Saheb.
- Rani Raj Vijayraj Kumari, born 21st December
1942, married 15th
May 1972, Maharaj Shri Arvind Singhji of Udaipur,
- Maharajkumar Shri Himmatsinhji Vijayrajji Jadeja,
Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1947); married Kaurani Sahiba Padmini
4th December 2006 at Kutch, daughter of HH
Maharana Raj Saheb Pratapsinhji Amarsinhji of Wankaner, and his wife, HH Maharani
- Rani Bharati Kunwarba, married Maharaj Mahijit Singh of
and has issue.
- Maharajkumari Raj Kunverba Saheb [HH Maharani Hansa
Kumari of Sant], married HH Maharana Shri
of Sant, and had issue.
- Maharajkumari Dev Kunverba Saheb [HH Rani Saheba of
Narsinghgarh], married June 1929, HH Raja Shri Sir Vikram
Singhji Sahib of Narsingharh.
- Maharajkumari Pravin Kunverba Saheb [HH Maharani Saheb of
Rewah], married 1943, HH Maharajah
Martand Singhji of Rewah.
- HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza
Maharao Shri MADANSINGHJI
[Meghrajji], 18th Maharao Saheb of Kutch 1948/1991, born 12th October
1909 in Bhuj, married HH
Kunverba, daughter of Lt.-Col. HH Umdae Rajhae Buland Makan
Singhji Bahadur of Kishangarh, and had
issue. He passed away on 21st June 1991 in London.
- HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza Maharao Shri Pragmalji
Madansinhji III Sawai
- Maharaj Kumar Sahib Bhupatsinhji Madansinhji Jadeja
- Maharaj Kumari Sahiba Nanda Kumari, married 16th May
Singhji, son of Rao Sahib Udaya Singhji of Patan.
- Maharaj Kumar Sahib Hanuwantsinhji Madansinhji Jadeja,
married Maharajkumari Rohini Devi, daughter of Lt. HH
Shri Sir Krishnakumarsinhji
and his wife, HH Maharani Vijayba Sahiba, and
- Kumar Shri Satyajitsinhji Hanuwantsinhji Jadeja
- Kumar Shri Pratapsinhji Hanuwantsinhji Jadeja, born 3rd
March 1972 in Bombay, Graduate, educated at Jamnabai Narsee School,
Bombay; Junior National Gold Medalist in the High Jump; married 12th
March 1993 in Bombay, Kumari Shalini
Kumari of Ramgarh Pachwara, and has issue, two sons and one daughter.
- Kumar Shri Anirudhsinhji Pratapsinhji Jadeja,
presently (2008) studying at Rajkumar College, Rajkot;
- Kumari Shri Trishulinikumari Pratapsinhji Jadeja,
presently (2008) studying at Mayo College, Girl’s School, Ajmer;
- Kumar Shri Meghdeepsinhji Pratapsinhji Jadeja
- Maharaj Kumari Sahiba Brijraj Kumari, married Rajkumar
Raj Sinh of Sitamau,
and has issue.
- HH Maharajadhiraj Mirza
Maharao Shri PRAGMALJI MADANSINHJI
Bahadur, 19th Maharao Saheb of Kutch (see above)